Izguard: The Lost Tales
Welcome to the Izguard WIKI!
- The Age of Enlightenment: Long ago the there was a great nation that was said to be unrivaled by any in the arts of magic. This nation stood during a time called the age of enlightenment, a time where magic and divine arts were prevalent in everyday life. There were multiple deities for every domain, colleges of magic for every school. Most historians say this was the high point of civilization, a Golden age.
- At some point during this Golden age, The War of the Gods started. No one is sure why, but any cleric will tell you if you are willing to listen that it was because of Pazuzu, The Chained God. According to clerical history; Pazuzu grew tired of sharing his domains, power and followers. Pazuzu, in an attempt to gain power started to hunt and kill the lesser Gods, absorbing their power, followers, domains and thus the Age of Madness began
- The Age of madness: a time when the world suffered as the Gods fought for power and dominion over the world. The War of the Gods was fought. Many deities died. In an attempt to stop Pazuzu; Enki, Nammu, and Baal joined together and bound Pazuzu. Pazuzu’s power had grown so great that they could not destroy him, only contain him. From that point forward Pazuzu was known as the Chained God. At the end of the Age of Madness, the world was shattered, and civilization had fallen into barbarism. Only 9 Gods remained. Of the 9 Gods that remained, 8 of them agreed to form a Circle, to contain the Chained god, in a hope to never let his carnage be felt on the world again.
- The current age is referred to as A.M., after the madness. It has lasted for 1029 years. Civilization has bloomed once more and the world has started to heal. Humanoids have started exploring again and magic and religion are used. Currently there are two major humanoid cities; Braxis and Taurens. These cities have been trading partners for the last 5 years. Trade is done by waterway, as both cities are costal and there is dense jungle and mountains between them. Recently pirate bands have been attacking the ships and the two cities are looking into alternative ways to trade.
* There are two major settlements that humanoids travel to and from, Braxis and Taurens.
- Braxis is the self proclaimed capital of the land of Izguard. There are roughly 50,000 people living in and around Braxis. The culture is a mix of humanoids with humans and elves making up a little more than half of the population primary exports are exotic spices and animals.
- Taurens is the primary trade partner with Braxis. There are roughly 35,000 people living in and around Taurens. The culture is a mix of humanoids with humans and Dwarves making up a little more than half of the population. Primary exports are metals
- The cost of living in Braxis and Taurens is not high. The average person makes 3 gp per month. The wealthy among them make 100 gp per month.
- There are 9 Deities in Izguard referred to as the circle of 8: Enki, Nammu, Baal, Utu, Ashura, Marduke, Eresh, Pazuzu, and Tiamat. The Circle of 8 is comprised of Enki, Nammu, Baal, Utu, Ashura, Marduk, Eresh, and Tiamat. They form a loose alliance to keep Pazuzu contained(see War of the Gods history)
- The Cathedral of Braxis and the Church of Taurens both teach all 8 books of the Shaja Ryse, or holy text of the circle of 8. All clerics are required to claim a deity from the circle to represent and prey to. Any cleric who does not prey to one of the 8 or preys to Pazuzu is considered a Heretic and is to be hunted and punished. All clerics of the 8 fear the breakdown of divine power or growth of Pazuzu’s if these strict orders are not followed.
- Enki, the Honorable one. This LG God controls the domains of Protection, Glory, Good and Nobility. His symbol is a shield with arrows on it. He is also referred to as “The King God” and is known as the God of paladins. His favored weapons are the shield and the bow. He is depicted as an old male knight in full plate armor.
- Nammu, the light of the world. This NG goddess controls Sun, Fire, Healing and Strength. Her symbol is the sunrise. She is also referred to as “The Shining One” and is known as the God of healers. Her favored weapons are the great sword and the sling. She is depicted as an extremely strong young female warrior in chainmail
- Baal, the Traveler. This CG God controls the domains of Plants, Animals, Travel, Water, and Liberation. His symbol is the ocean waves. He is also referred to as “the wandering God” and as the God of merchants and farmers. His favored weapons are the Great Axe and the dagger. He is depicted as a middle aged male woodsman in a traveling cloak
- Utu, the Judge. This LN God controls Artifice, Earth, Community, and Law. His symbol is a weighted scale. He is also referred to as “the civilized God” and as the god of nobles and law enforcers. His favored weapons are the War hammer and the Gauntlet he is depicted as a middle aged man in a grey robe.
- Ashura, the lady of Fate. This N goddess controls the domains of Charm, Luck, Rune, and Chaos. Her symbol is the ying yang. She is also referred to as “Lady Luck” and as the goddess of bards and gamblers. Her favored weapons are the whip and rapier. She is depicted as a beautiful young lady in an evening dress.
- Marduk, the End bringer. This CN God controls the domains of Death, Magic, War, and weather. His symbol is the Scythe. He is also referred to as “the Angel of Death” and as the God of Rogues and wizards. His favored weapons are the scythe and the spiked chain. He is depicted as a thin man in a black billowing cloak.
- Eresh, the Void. This LE Goddess controls the domains of Air, Darkness, Knowledge and Repose. Her symbol is the crescent moon. She is also referred to as “the Dark One” and as the Goddess of Assassins. Her favored weapons are the crossbow and scimitar. She is depicted as a young woman in tight black clothes with a scimitar drawn.
- Pazuzu, the Chained God. This NE God controls the domains of Fire, Chaos, Repose and Madness. His symbol is the Manacle. He is also referred to as “the Anarchist” and as the God who is banished. His favored weapons are the bastard sword and the spiked chain. He is depicted as an extremely strong man shackled and shrouded in darkness so his face cannot be seen.
- Tiamat, the Destroyer. This CE Goddess controls the domains of Destruction, Evil, Trickery, and Madness. Her symbol is the pentagram. She is also referred to as “the Evil One” and as the Goddess of monsters. Her favored weapon is the Bastard sword. She is depicted as a Black Dragon.